Sixth Form Level 3 Sport Extended Diploma
Study and play in our Sports Academies - Basketball, Coaching and Football.
BTEC Level 3 Sport Extended Diploma is equivalent to 3 A-Levels.
Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Sport
Course title: BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Sport
Why study BTEC Sport?
The course incorporates the unique combination of practical and written skills and perfectly compliments students' training in their chosen discipline of Basketball, Football or Sports Coaching. The course is equivalent to 3 A levels and enables students to study a broad range of topics within the sports industry, allowing students to discover elements which they may wish to study in further detail at university or pursue as a career.
What will I be learning about?
Students will study the following units
- 1 Anatomy and Physiology (Exam)
- 2 Fitness Training and Programming for Health, Sport and well-being (Exam)
- 3 Professional Development in the Sports Industry
- 4 Sports Leadership
- 5 Application of Fitness Testing
- 6 Sports Psychology
- 7 Practical Sports Performance
- 8 Coaching for Performance
- 9 Research Methods in Sport
- 17 Sport Injury Management
- 19 Development and Provision of Sport and Physical Activity (Exam)
- 22 Investigating Business in Sport and the Active Leisure Industry (Exam
- 23 Skill Acquisition in Sport
- 25 Rules, Regulations and Officiating in Sport
How will I be assessed?
Students will study a total of 14 units across the two years. 4 of the units are assessed externally by examination. The remaining 10 units are assessed through the submission of coursework assignments and will include a range of practical elements. The practical elements that students will participate in include: Officiating, Interviews, Sports Leadership, Sports Coaching, Performance in Team Sports and Performance in Individual Sports.
Progression and careers
There are a range of options that students may choose to pursue at the end of this course. These include: studying for a degree at university, completing an apprenticeship or gaining employment in the sports industry.
Previous students at Chessington School have gone on to study the following courses at university.
- BSc Sport and Exercise Science
- BSc Sports Coaching
- BSc Sports Analysis
- BSc Applied Cricket
The course may lead to progression to the following careers within the sports industry:
- Sport and Exercise Science
- Sports Business Management
- Sports Event Management
- Sports Coaching
- Sports Marketing
- Sports Physiotherapy
- Personal Training
- Professional Sportsperson
- Teacher Training
What are the entry requirements?
Five GCSEs at grade 4 or above including English and Maths. It is advisable for students to have previously studied GCSE PE or BTEC Sport at level 2.